Surviving Prison: Top 10 Tips
Prison… Just the thought of the word makes me feel claustrophobic. Living in a 6×8 or an 8×10 if you have a cellmate, inside steel or brick walls and one solid or barred door that locks from the outside, opening and closing at certain times, at times not opening at all, it’s definitely not the friendly Holiday Inn. They call prisons rehabilitation centers, but are they really? I’m sure it can drive a person insane!
The truth is, facilitating your stay will make for a more amiable environment. The less stress the fewer problems. With that said PlayasOnly.Com came up with what we hope are some helpful tips if you’re ever faced with possibly being put away in the slammer.
1. Hire the best lawyer you can, according to what you can afford. Do not accept a court appointed lawyer, they work for the courts so you can’t rely on them. Hiring the right lawyer means you will get a chance of avoiding a prison sentence, or a minimum term if the sentence is unavoidable.
2. be active in prison: Physically, mentally, and spiritually, because you can easily lose sight and become jaded. A life consisting of tedious unchanging routine can wear you down and lead to depression. Depression is the leading cause of self-harm and suicide in prison so pick up new hobbies and keep yourself busy at all times.
3. Learn friendly card games to pass time in prison, but do not gamble. You can find yourself not being able to afford to pay your debts or you can even piss somebody off if you win (who would have guessed that?). If you lose they will do anything to get what you owe them. In prison maintaining respect is the “status quo”.
4. Do not use drugs: the use of drugs is a huge risk and can ensure no good time or early release and if you become addicted it can set you up to be somebody’s slave. Remember try to be as independent as possible.
5. be very careful who does you a favor: A favor can easily turn into one of the hardest things to ever have to repay, especially when in prison.
6. Insist that your loved ones go visit you or ensure to write letters to those you love. Being able to keep in contact with those on the outside lends lots of hope. Many prisoners think that by closing out to the free world this allows them to focus on their time. The truth is, this nose-dives you head first into the prison life-style.
7. be careful with gangs, religious organization and other groups: It’s easy to find yourself alone in the need of being a part of something. The fact is though, that a lot of times such crowds may require you to go through some sort of initiation that isn’t constructive or endangers your already handed prison sentence. Truth is, if you were never in a gang before entering prison, joining one while in prison is not a good look.
8. Get a Walkman an iPod (are they allowed in prison yet?) or anything that allows you to jam to your favorite music. Friday nights go by pretty fast when you are imagining about grinding on that hottie you took home the last time you were at a club. Listening to music is definitely a lot better than watching TV, as you are allowed to use more of your imagination and relax your mind while you’re at it.
9. Being in prison is like playing chess or being at war. Strategy plays a big part so always be on your p’s and q’s, once you let your guard down somebody will take advantage.
10. last but not least… don’t drop the soap! (LMAO)
Actually, on a serious note do not accept anybody’s offer to protect you. Be it a guard or other inmates. Accepting to be protected puts you on the list of easy prey to anybody looking for a sucka to get over on, despite whoever is protecting you.